As most authors, I’ve found it’s a bit harder for me to want to read adventure-style Science Fiction or Fantasy while I’m in the middle of writing. It led me to a period where I didn’t read a ton over the first 6 months of the year. I hope to change that this summer! I’ve already read some pretty good books, SF related or not:
1. The Only Rule Is It Has To Work – by Ben Lindbergh and Sam Miller. A GREAT story about running an independent league baseball team. Funny, witty, enough sabremetrics to keep me interested. Probably my book of the year so far.
2. Big Data Baseball — Had fun with this too, a look at the Pirates 2014 season.
3. Clockwork Dagger – by Beth Cato. This is a fun steampunk adventure that I’d been meaning to read for awhile. Light and quick.
4. Fountains of Paradise – by Arthur C. Clarke. Oldie but a goodie, Hugo winner that got everyone talking about space elevators. One of his better ones from a character perspective too which is where his writing usually lacks. Holds up over time!
5. City of Angels – by Todd McCaffrey. Just re-released by World Fire Press, this is a nice thriller about an AI that discovers the ultimate earthquake is about to hit LA.
Good stuff all around. Now back to writing!